Social Media Marketing
Social Media Marketing
How your business will grow fast
Social media sites offer a massive range of benefits for small businesses. Not only are they a low-cost way to build brand awareness about your business and your products, but they’re also an excellent way to attract new customers.
The key to success with social media marketing is to understand the right ways to leverage each social media platform to your advantage.
You can use the social media service to streamline your social marketing campaigns and increase your visibility across a broad range of social channels easily, including Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google Plus, Instagram, SnapChat, YouTube, and many others.
If you can get it right, chances are your business will reap the rewards:
• Increase brand awareness
• Give your brand an organic, human feel
• Allow you to tune in to what’s being said about your brand
• Facilitate word-of-mouth marketing
• Give you an immediate medium for customer and potential
• Increase customer loyalty
• Build consumer trust
Let’s explore each goal in detail.
INCREASE BRAND AWARENESS
When you enter social media channels, your brand will appear in search results across the Web, not just in search
engines. Many social media channels, such as Face-book and LinkedIn, feature “group” functionality which allows
users to search for topics in which they are interested and opt-in to updates for those topics. Furthermore, social media
channels facilitate the process of instantly sharing information with a large number of contacts. If a reader finds your
content useful or interesting, they can share it with their contacts quickly and easily, creating organic exposure for your
GIVE YOUR BRAND AN ORGANIC, HUMAN FEEL
Participating in social media channels brings your brand closer to your customers and potential customers. Your social
media “voice” defines your brand image and separates it from a distant entity to a hip, trendy, “in-the-know” brand. Think
about what Apple did with its famous “I’m a Mac, I’m a PC” commercials.
TUNE INTO WHAT’S BEING SAID ABOUT YOUR BRAND
You may not know it, but your customers are saying lots of things about your brand. But do you know what they’re
saying? Social media channels like Twitter and Face-book make that sort of “brand buzz” readily available. If you’re not
tuned in, you could be missing out on crucial information about your target market.
FACILITATE WORD-OF-MOUTH MARKETING
There’s no stronger marketing message than an endorsement from a friend. Social media facilitates word-of-mouth
marketing by making it quick and easy to tell your friends about your positive experience with a brand. But social media
doesn’t just make it easy to tell a single friend; it’s just as easy to tell all your friends what’s on your mind.
USE IT AS A MEDIUM TO COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR CUSTOMERS
Twitter and Face-book have become the default customer service media for many companies, and more companies
are hopping on the bandwagon each day. By using these channels to communicate with your customers, you project a
transparent, trustworthy image which also shows that not only do you listen, but you care.
INCREASE CUSTOMER LOYALTY
One independent study, which appeared in the March 2010 issue of Harvard Business Review found that Face-book
pages can increase customer loyalty by 36%. The study also found that customers connected with the brand’s Facebook page had higher emotional attachment and greater psychological loyalty toward the brand.
BUILD CONSUMER TRUST
The transparency inherent in social media builds trust with potential consumers. People want to deal with people, not
with corporations, and communicating through social media builds that level of personal trust.
How to successfully use Facebook Ads campaign
First of all, you’ll need to specify the goals you want to achieve. Then you need to choose the right FB Ads campaign type to match said goal and specify your target audience. So for example if your objective is to increase traffic, you should choose Traffic as the preferred campaign type.
Secondly, every fanpage/industry/post is different and it’s difficult to say whether these are good or bad results. Your outcome will be affected by factors such as your chosen target audience or the design of your ad. Having said this, it’s good to test different sets of ads and compare your results to your previous ones, and to those of others in your industry.
50 killer ideas for your Social Media content
Let’s roll with 100 ideas for great social media content. Consult this list any time you have difficulty coming up with
something to post:
1. QUOTES: Humorous, inspiring or motivational quotes always perform well.
2. FILL-IN-THE-BLANK POSTS (e.g. “If I had $1 million I would _________”)
3. POLLS: While Face-book offers builtin polls, I find running them manually works best for boosting engagement (e.g.
“Which of these books is your favorite?”)
4. BEHIND-THE-SCENES PHOTOS: Take candid shots of yourself, your employees, or snap a shot of your office or
5. STATISTICS OR DATA: Share new, relevant industry statistics (these perform great in terms of retweets and shares)
6. POST A LINK TO AN OLD BLOG POST: There’s nothing wrong with recycling, and old posts will gain new engagement,
extending their life.
7. QUESTIONS: Pose simple, basic questions that your followers can answer quickly.
8. LINK TO A GUEST POST: Share (or reshare) a link to a post you contributed to another site.
9. POST A BRANDED IMAGE: Post a funny or inspirational image with your logo or website URL on it.
10. INFOGRAPHICS: Find an infographic your followers would appreciate. Check out Daily Infographic for ideas, or better
yet, create your own.
11. PRODUCT PHOTOS: Work best on sites like Pinterest or Instagram. Think about how you can add a unique angle to
the shots (e.g. an employee actually using the product, a customer-submitted photo, etc.).
12. PHOTOS THAT HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR PRODUCTS OR BUSINESS: Instead, they convey the feeling
behind your brand. For instance, how Starbucks shares photos on Instagram to associate their brand with sunshine, warmth, and good friends (not just coffee).
13. BEHIND-THE-SCENES PRODUCT SHOTS: Photos of your products being manufactured or sourced.
14. LINK TO A CONTROVERSIAL BLOG POST: There’s nothing better for eliciting engagement than a little controversy.
15. ASK FOR INPUT ON YOUR PRODUCTS: Your followers will love giving their thoughts on how to improve your
16. LET PINTEREST INSPIRE YOU: Pinterest is a goldmine in terms of finding beautiful images you can share
(particularly images with quotes). Just be sure to give proper credit.
17. SHARE A HELPFUL RESOURCE: If you’re truly concerned about sharing the most useful info with your followers,
don’t be afraid to direct them to other people’s valuable content (not just your own).
18. POST A SLIDESHARE PRESENTATION: If you want to find one that’s already proven itself to be popular, go to the
‘Trending in Social Media’ section at the bottom of the Slideshare homepage.
19. LINK TO A CASE STUDY: Case studies are great for delivering useful info in a way that’s often more palatable and
actionable than a standard blog post.
20. LINK TO AN INDUSTRY-RELATED IFTTT RECIPE: Haven’t heard of IFTTT (short for If This Then That)? You need to
check it out. Then share a link to a recipe your followers would find useful.
21. ASK FOR REVIEWS OR TESTIMONIALS: Eliciting reviews from fans or followers is one of the best ways to get
testimonials you can use as social proof on your website.
22. FAN PHOTOS: Search for hashtags related to your business or products, and share a customer photo on Face-book,
Instagram or Pinterest.
23. RECOMMEND A TOOL: Share a (preferably free) tool or resource you think your followers would find useful.
24. SHARE A FAVORITE BOOK: Similar to #23, share a book recommendation your fans or followers would appreciate.
25. A DAY IN THE LIFE POST: Give a recap of a typical day in the life of a graphic designer, author, CEO, etc.
26. RECOMMEND YOUR FAVORITE PRODUCTS: If you’re an e-commerce site, share a list of your top sellers or highestrated products. If you’re a service provider, share a list of the products that help you succeed in your business.
27. SHARE RANDOM TIPS: Periodically post a random tip or trick your followers would find useful. Hint: using random
tip numbers adds interest to your post (e.g. Tip #256: __________)
28. LINK TO YOUR MOST POPULAR BLOG POST: Give a brief intro to the post and explain why it’s your most read and
29. PROVIDE A RECOMMENDATION: Share the love by recommending a business you’ve worked with successfully in the
30. SHARE A WORK/LIFE BALANCE TIP: Your social media followers want to know you’re a real person with the same
struggles as them. Share a tip you’ve learned for balancing work, life and family.
31. ASK FOR ADVICE: Pose a hypothetical question and ask your followers what they would do in that situation.
32. TAKE A TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE: Share photos of old logos, websites or your very first product.
33. RANDOM POSTS THAT SHOW YOU’RE A REAL PERSON: For instance, what you had for dinner last night or what
you’re doing this weekend.
34. SHARE POPULAR REDDIT TOPIC: Visit Reddit’s Trending Subreddit page to find popular and trending topics to post
35. RECOMMEND SOMEONE ELSE TO FOLLOW ON SOCIAL MEDIA: Share a link to someone else’s social media profile
and encourage your fans to ‘like’ or follow them.
36. SHARE A PINTEREST BOARD: If your customers are on Pinterest (hint: if your demographic is educated, high-income
females, they probably are), share a Pinterest board via Face-book or Twitter.
37. SHARE A COMIC OR MEME: Getting your customers to laugh with you is a great way to start building relationships.
38. POST A VIDEO TESTIMONIAL: Share a video review; or better yet, ask your social media followers to submit their
own video testimonials.
39. RECOMMEND A COLLEAGUE ON LINKEDIN: Encourage your connections to reach out to someone who acts as a
valuable resource for your business.
40. HOLD A PHOTO CONTEST: Ask for photo submissions and then get your fans to vote. Share the winning photos, too!
41. SHARE A TRENDING TWITTER TOPIC: Use Topsy to find content that’s popular and trending on Twitter.
42. HOLD A DEBATE ON SOCIAL MEDIA: This can go downhill pretty quickly, so be sure to stay on top of it!
43. ‘CAPTION THIS’: Post a photo and ask your fans to come up with creative or funny captions.
44. YOUTUBE VIDEO: Find a cute or inspirational video and promote it to your fans or followers.
45. TAG ANOTHER FACEBOOK PAGE: Generate some good karma by helping to promote another business.
46. SHARE BREAKING INDUSTRY NEWS: Stay on stop of what’s going on in your industry or niche by using Google
47. SHARE COUNTRY-SPECIFIC HOLIDAYS: Wish your followers from around the world happy holidays (a full list of
worldwide holidays can be found here).
48. SHARE (AND ASK FOR) PREDICTIONS: For instance, “I predict that Germany will win the World Cup. Who do you
think will win?”.
49. OFFER A FREE E-BOOK: Build your email list while generating some goodwill with your fans.
50. ASK FOR QUESTIONS: Let your fans ask you anything.